Thursday, August 27, 2009

Benjamin = Buff Arms for Me

Warning: I'm feeling the need to make my blogs more like journal entries since I never write in my journal. So it might get boring.

Benjamin, Benja, Benny. What to say about the child. What NOT to say about the child. Wow see sometimes I feel guilty cause its like I have to focus so MUCH on Benny that I don't on Tanner. But I guess that's just how it has to be sometimes. Benny is so much of my heart and soul. That sounds weird and not that Tanner isn't - but its hard having a child that needs me so much. That needs so much help. Maybe he's what I need though too so who knows.

Lately I have been feeling very validated in all my feelings and beliefs of Benjamin. I've talked about this so much before I know, but with him its always been about the unknown. No one knows anything for sure about him its all kind of been a wait and see game. Or its kind of up to him. This can be scary sometimes because it gets easy to just worry. But through all my worry I feel like I have also been blessed with an overall feeling of peace and a knowledge that everything with him will be just fine. As unknown as it has all been I think that I have always deep down known that things will work out for Benja. And lately this has been even more apparent. I mean anyone who has seen him or is with him lately cannot deny how well he is doing. He has always been doing well. But now that he is a bit over 2 years old it becomes more obvious everyday to everyone else how really just normal - if that is a word - he is. I have always felt this of course, but I don't think other people have always realized this. And lately its just been nice to have doctors, therapists, and others just reemphasize what I have always known - he is a normal 2 year old kid who just has a body that doesn't work quite how he'd like.

Its been kind of funny cause for the past while its like any little crazy thing that he will do will seem like a big deal to us because its like every single little thing that he does only solidifies what we've known. Does that make sense? Little things like pulling his brother's hair and thinking its hilarious - even when he gets in trouble - as naughty as it is it kind of makes me happy. Is that weird? I'm like "Yes! He's a normal kid! He's being a pest to his big brother!" Or making a huge mess out of his food and throwing it all over the kitchen I'm like "Yes! This is what 2 year olds do!" Anyway, I know I'm a weirdo but we just like to notice these kinds of things and these little crazinesses of Benjamin always make my heart happy.




SO one thing about Benjamin, is that for not being a very mobile or at least independently mobile kid, he is so super active. Especially since he got his glasses. Its like a curse and blessing at the same time. He just wants to go go go and never holds still. I mean just imagine your two year old, and then that two year old not able to run around and play and do everything he wants to. That is Benny everyday. And so therefore he constantly wants me to walk around with him or wrestle or help him get into all the kitchen cupboards (which I do because obviously I know thats what kids like to do, and I don't want him to miss out!) and for this reason I have noticed the past month or so - I am getting some buff arms! He is getting big and is a handful! I don't think I have ever had such nice arms! Isn't that lame? But seriously its kind of good for me even though he wears me out to no end. But at the rate he's going he'll probably just learn to walk someday and then I'll get my relief society sag back. Anyway. . . .

We have decided to have Benjamin start some Horse Riding Lessons. It is supposed to be really good for kids with low muscle tone to ride horses I guess. So its kind of fun. . . even though its expensive. So here are a few pictures of that even though I think he looks kind of funny in them - mostly cause of the helmet he has to wear. And cause he was far from me and it was hard to zoom in and get good shots. But oh well, safety first I suppose! We may have a cowboy yet someday!





Actually I think its more likely he will be a swimmer. I cannot say enough how much the kid loves the water. It was so hard keeping him from jumping in the pool at tanner's swim lessons this summer. Here is a picture of him during the swimming lessons - it was a challenging time keeping the child dry and happy.

Another thing about Benny is how much he has to say lately. He is really doing well talking. I just never realized before how much speech has to do with motor skills. So even though Benny can say a lot of words, it is difficult to put two words together. This is frustrating for him cause he has a lot to say! But its coming! My favorite is that his first two words together were of course "hi mommy." As most of you know "hi" is his favorite word. He says Hi to everyone he sees. He's a super friendly kid. Its kinda funny.

We love our Benja! He makes us laugh everyday and I don't know what we would do without him!

5 comments:

Becca said...

What a sweet boy. I can imagine how my two year old would feel if she couldn't move around well. You are such a good mom to your sweet "Benja." I know what you mean about that feeling of peace amidst difficulty. See my recent post.
http://www.indianawilkinsfamily.blogspot.com/

Carrie said...

It's good that you write this stuff Rachel, especially for those of us who are far away. Helps me feel like I know the boys better. Can't wait to see you guys at Katie's wedding! (I sympathize with that crazy active thing - toddlers sure are fun!)

Rebecca said...

That's pretty impressive that your arms are more buff than they ever got from your swim team days. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if Benny became a swimmer. He's got the chlorine genes in him already. Judith would be proud. He really is a cute kid.

Laura said...

What a cute boy Benny is-Max really liked the pictures of him riding the horse in his "sunglasses".

Bob said...

Congrats on the buff arms...I must say we fell in love with Benny at the reunion..it was so fun to get to know him and your boys better. Tell him hi for us.