Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Blogging back-up

So a little over a week ago we decided to be spontaneous and just go camping for a couple days. We decided we really needed to take advantage of some time we had - and we also realized we had never been camping before with just OUR family. We've been camping with extended family, just never on our own. So last Sunday night we headed up to Kamas and after a fun family dinner with some folks we pulled my parents tent-trailer up into the Uintas and ultimately ended up at Soapstone - one of my favorite spots growing up. I have so many memories up in those mountains!

Having a trailer is definitely the way to go with kids by the way. We've decided we may have to invest in one someday. For now its nice to have parents to bum off of. Anyway, we had a really great time. Tanner was absolutely ecstatic to go camping and especially to go fishing! We bought him this little "Lightening McQueen" fishing pole a few months ago and he had never used it yet. He's been so excited to go fishing. So funny how he already thinks its like the coolest thing ever to do even though he's never done it really. Just shows the influence of a daddy. Spencer loves to fish. I just hope Tanner keeps his love of fishing cause I don't think he really had tons of fun the whole time since he never actually caught a fish. He got frustrated with Spencer trying to help him and so eventually we just let him do his own thing in a little puddle that didn't even have any fish in it. But he was happy thinking that he was fishing anyway - and no daddy hogging his pole. He was pretty excited when Daddy caught a couple fish though - so that was fun.

So on Monday afternoon we drove up higher to the Upper Provo Falls where there are some cool waterfalls. There are trails you can just hike down along the river and there is just waterfall after waterfall - it was so beautiful and so fun! You could get in the river and there were fun pools and stuff. However, there was one tragedy there. I was sitting by a pool holding Benjamin in my lap and he was really interested in my camera. So of course I let him hold it for a minute. Not very smart - before I realized he had dropped it in the water!!!!! So all the pictures we took on our trip are lost. But worse yet - my camera is ruined. Thank goodness it was just a cheap one that I've had a couple years - but still! I was just grateful that I acted on what I feel was a prompting and downloaded all our other pictures onto our computer before we went camping. THAT would have been a tragedy.

But anyway, we had a really great time on our little camping trip. My parents and brothers came up Monday night for a little "family night" together. Tanner loved roasting marshmallows. Its just so fun to be up in the beautiful mountains! But I will admit it is a lot of work and it always feels wonderful to get home and shower. But overall I think its still worth it.

So who knows, I may be without pictures for a while. We'll see what I can talk my hubby into as far as a replacement camera. Luckily I still have a ton of pictures from Montana and my Uncle's wedding and the 4th I think that I still haven't found time to blog about. I've been meaning to but time flies and its often hard to find time to blog. So maybe now I'll be able to catch up - yay! So hopefully there will be more to come soon!

3 comments:

Bob said...

Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun. Too bad about the tragedy...I guess its all water under the bridge...or camera. :)

Holmes Family said...

I had a lot to catch up on. I get excited for anyone who gets to go camping spontaneously. We have not had that opportunity in years. At least to places that are like where we grew up. Camping is not camping to me without water. There is not any around here.
You're boys are so cute! The pictures of them on the trampoline remind me of home in Woodland, or Kamas.
I love the pictures of Joel and Claire's temple sealing. You are beautiful as always. And it's so weird to see how grown up your brothers are. You have one of those extremely well rounded and great families!

Mary Jane said...

Soapstone is where we went camping last year and I loved it! If you guys aren't already camped out, we'd love to get together with you for a family camping trip. I'm surprised that I want to go again because we've already been four times back-to-back this summer, but I've really enjoyed it. I agree that we want to invest in a trailer someday because it would be a lot nicer with kids.