Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Being a mom is HARD!

Sometimes I get really stressed out. I LOVE being a mom - there is absolutely nothing else I would rather do with my life than be a mother - really. But it really is truly hard. I always knew it would be hard because that is what everyone says, but you never really quite understand until you do it. I just love my little boys so much! And that is probably why it gets stressful because everything is not always perfect and you want to try and make everything as perfect as possible - but its not that easy.

Tanner is going to be 3 on Thursday!! It is so crazy to me. But already at his age I can see how much influence friends can have on him. It is scary. We live in a scary world - much scarier than it was even when we were growing up! I feel such a huge responsibility to protect them, but even more to teach them. And I usually feel very overwhelmed and inadequate. And then when you have a perfect little baby and you find out that they are maybe not quite so perfect and have some extra challenges ahead, like we have with our little Benjamin (whom I'm sure I'll talk more about at a different time), it is even that much harder!

Anyway, I guess I have just been feeling quite overwhelmed lately with motherhood. Even though I'm sure I'll feel this way ten times fold when I have teenagers! I can definitely see how Heavenly Father uses this role and the experiences it comes with to mold us and help us become the people He knows that we can become and that we hope to become during this life.

On a lighter note, today UPS delivered to me my new stroller! I finally ordered the Sit 'n Ride stroller that I have been wanting for a while (I ended up getting the Baby Trend one Becky. After reading so many reviews, it seemed like there wasn't a great difference between it and the Joovey Caboose - so I went with what was cheaper). It is marvelous! And then of course Tanner was so excited about it cause he actually has a place where he can sit or stand and then get off whenever he wants to all on his own! So we went to the mall to try it out. It was way fun - plus a lot of stores were having great sales today so I was able pick up a few great deals on things for Tanner that I had wanted! Shopping always makes me happy. Anyway, it was great. Its very nice to find items like this that make a moms life just that much easier. Ya know?


The one thing that has made me so frustrated lately is how both malls play areas are closed! It is like the most freezing time of the year - and Provo doesn't have many places to go inside and play in already - and two of the most convenient just happen to be out of commission right now! How annoying! Anyway, we have to be creative now and think of other fun things to do - cause Tanner starts to drive me crazy if we are stuck in our house too much! McDonald's here we come! No - but occasionally it is the only option. But we have luckily been able to come up with some fun things to be doing in the next few weeks. . . .


So here is something random. If you need a new snack (Spencer and I are always finding new tasty delights) our latest craze is Cracked Pepper and Olive Oil TRISCUITS! We are literally going through 2 boxes a week lately. Triscuits are like 2 bucks a box at Wal-mart - so thats definitely the place to pick them up. Just thought I'd share.


A few pictures - I realize how boring my blog is without them. I'm just not good at taking good pictures so I guess I'll have to get better!

The boys playing out in the snow in Kamas. . .


The big snow tunnel they dug! Lots of fun - all the way down to the grass!



The snow diggers posing - with my bro Daniel. What a beautiful winter day!!


Cute little Benny with his head up! And a big toothy smile!


Chillin' in the boppy. . . .

5 comments:

The Newton's said...

I didn't know that you started a blog! I can't believe Laura didn't tell me. Can I add your link to my blog?
Kensey

Laura said...

So I'm jealous of the fact that you have two malls and they are both decent....try living in Grand Junction where the mall is okay-but target is in it, which can be convenient, but it is just wierd and people think it is okay to take the carts out of Target and push them all over the mall...

Naomi & Greg said...

once again...I love your honesty and how you let us in to your thoughts and heart. You always have been wonderful Rachel. I on the other hand really don't say much and didn't even get a christmas letter out. Your boys are adorable!!

Unknown said...

Rachel, that is so weird b/c we just had this conversation on Sunday and then I find you had already blogged about it! I was the one who brought it up on Sunday b/c I was feeling pretty overwhelmed! It's so true that it's so hard b/c we love them so much. Like when things aren't going well I think "oh, I wish I just didn't care as much." like I wish I didn't care if Reagan took naps or got enough sleep at night but I do care b/c I love her more than myself!
Just a note, I was feeling sort of down on Sunday b/c I felt so overwhelmed and inadequate so I asked Will to give me a blessing. Honestly, Rachel it helped so much! I felt Heavenly Fathers love and understanding for me. Today I feel so motivated and renewed with the new day and a chance to start over! Never hesitate to receive a blessing for a little comfort and strength!

Unknown said...

I also wanted to say those pictures of Tanner in the snow are darling!!! I love his snow gear, the beanie and coat are too cute!